Know your responsibilities when renting
When renting, little problems can turn into big problems if you are not aware of who is responsible for taking care of the issues that may arise.
As a tenant you are obliged to do the following:
- Keep the property clean
- Not cause damage to the premises
- Inform the landlord ASAP if any damage is done
- Ask for the landlords permission to install fixtures or make alterations, renovations etc
- Avoid causing a nuisance to the landlord or neighbours
- Do not initiate or participate in any illegal activities on the property
The landlord is obliged to:
- Keep the premises in good repair
- Ensure the security of the property by making sure all doors have locks and windows are secure
- Immediately provide the tenant with a key after changing any locks
- Avoid disturbing the tenant unnecessarily
Once you have signed a lease / tenancy agreement and paid a bond you should be provided with a Condition Report. This report records the condition of the property. Check this report carefully and immediately discuss any issues you may have with the landlord.